5 Benefits of Collagen Powder
You may know collagen as an ingredient in your favorite body lotion or have followed the recent ingestible collagen craze, but with so many fads coming and going, it’s difficult to keep up with what things actually are, if they’re healthy or not and when to use them. Turns out there truly are some awesome benefits of collagen powder and it has practical applications in a number of situations.
First, what it is. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body. It’s found in your muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system and tendons. It’s what gives your skin strength and elasticity, and acts as the “glue” that holds the body together when it comes to your joints.
As we get older, our body’s collagen production naturally begins to slow – hello wrinkles, sagging skin, and joint pains. Certain lifestyle factors deplete collagen as well, things like eating a diet high in sugar, smoking, and high amounts of sun exposure. While consuming collagen isn’t quite like drinking from the fountain of youth, it comes pretty damn close.
Here are our top 5 benefits of collagen and the situations you can use it to improve your every day life:
Top 5 Benefits of Collagen
- Improves Skin & Hair: Collagen helps your skin cells to keep renewing and repairing normally, leaving you with firmer, smoother skin. It also reduces the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
- Reduces Joint Pain: Think of ingesting more collagen like greasing a creaky door hinge: it’ll help your joints move more easily, reduce pain and the risk of joint deterioration.
- Heals the Gut: Suffering from a leaky gut? Collagen will help break down proteins and soothe your gut’s lining, healing damaged cell walls and infusing it with healing amino acids.
- Boost Metabolism: A boost in collagen may help increase your metabolism by adding lean muscle mass to your frame, while helping with the conversion of essential nutrients.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: The amino acid proline helps your artery walls release fat buildup in the bloodstream, shrinking the fat in the arteries and minimizing fat accumulation.
So you got the benefits of collagen powder, how do you get the goods? We often consume our collagen via homemade bone broth or powder. Our favorite brand of powder that we recommend is Vital Proteins.