Pesto Low Carb Paleo Spaghetti
Sometimes the body craves a hearty bowl of pasta, but it’s no secret that white pasta is nothing short of empty high-glycemic calories that spike your blood sugar, leaving you hungry with an increasing waistline. No thanks. That’s why we turned to this Pesto Low Carb Paleo Spaghetti from Being Brigid.
Nutrient dense spaghetti squash is the way to go, especially when paired with healthy sources of fats and lean sources of proteins. This recipe provides all of those in one with the cashews and EVOO in the pesto, and the organic turkey and ground flaxseeds in the meatballs. Enjoy!
Pesto Low Carb Paleo Spaghetti Recipe
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
For the Pesto:
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- ¼ cup cashews (unsalted and toasted)
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 cup basil
- ¼ cup EVOO
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
For the Turkeyballs:
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp EVOO
Macros: P 28g / C 19g / F 15g / Cal 375
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and place on a baking sheet, face down. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- While the spaghetti squash is baking, begin to prepare the turkeyballs. Combine the ground turkey, ground flax seeds, cilantro, sun dried tomatoes, egg, EVOO and stir.
- Form 12 medium-sized turkeyballs and place each on a greased baking sheet. Put the turkeyballs in the oven next to the spaghetti squash for the last 20-25 minutes. *If you cannot fit the two baking trays side by side then bake them separately.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a food processor to make the pesto—lemon juice, toasted cashews, spinach, garlic, basil, EVOO, salt and pepper. Pulse the ingredients until they are well blended and smooth.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and discard the seeds. Use a fork to create the ’spaghetti’ consistency and pour into four separate serving bowls.
- Evenly distribute the pesto over the spaghetti squash and top with three meatballs per bowl. Dig in!