Vegan Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad
Pomegranates Packing a Punch
For such a small, tiny seed pomegranates pack in a lot of flavor, crunch and nutrients. Pomegranates contain a unique nutritional composition of some of the most powerful polyphenols found in food. That’s why I love incorporating them in my diet with dishes like this Vegan Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad. Studies show that the antioxidants found in pomegranates, such as ellagic acid and anthocyanins are associated with decreased blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Get these nutritional benefits by purchasing a whole pomegranate and digging out the seeds yourself. I typically buy a few pomegranates and dig out all of the seeds at once, place them in a large tupperware and store in the refrigerator for the week. This makes it convenient to add pomegranate seeds to any dishes like trail mix, paleo porridge, salads, smoothies, chicken, etc.
Sweet Potato Powerhouse
Sweet potatoes are another fall favorite. Swap out your white potatoes and bring in sweet potatoes (or even purple potatoes) to get more plant-based phytonutrients. It’s obvious that they have a much higher nutrient content than white potatoes because sweet potatoes and purple potatoes both have a deep pigment underneath the skin of the potatoes. Just remember that sweet potatoes are higher in carbohydrates/sugar content compared to broccoli or cauliflower because they are a starchy vegetable. When eating any starchy vegetables it’s always best to pair with a lean source of protein and a healthy fat. This recipe contains healthy fats from olive oil and avocado and plant-based protein from the black beans. You may want to pair this dish with an extra source of lean protein such as grilled chicken or ground turkey or wild salmon! And bam–you have yourself a balanced, vibrant, nutritionally exceptional meal!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup green onion, minced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Dice sweet potatoes and mix with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Evenly spread out the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the baked sweet potatoes to a large bowl and combine with pomegranates, black beans, avocado, cilantro, and green onion.
- Top the salad with juice from one lime, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Mix ingredients together and place in the refrigerator to allow the potatoes to cool. Enjoy!